There are many apparent signs that your kitchen may need a remodel – some signs are obvious – your kitchen is falling apart and then there are more subtle ones, such as flickering lights that might be due to potentially dangerous electrical wiring. Sometimes you just want to redesign an existing kitchen.
Here are 10 signs that it’s time for kitchen remodeling to spruce up your home.
When should you remodel your kitchen?
Many people don’t renovate their kitchens until it becomes a necessity. However, there are times when your kitchen just isn’t really functional anymore. So here are some tips on when you should start making changes:
Your needs or lifestyle have changed.
If you’re lived in that house for a while, it is very likely that your needs are no longer met by the kitchen you’ve always had.
For instance, your kitchen might feel too small if your family has grown. Or, if you’re an empty nester with a big kitchen, a smaller kitchen may fit you better.
Regardless of whether you love to host parties or prefer a quieter lifestyle, your kitchen should have the ability to accommodate you and your way of life.
You need a prep area and storage space
You will have dishes, appliances, gadgets, containers and food to store no matter how much or little you cook. Even simple meals require at least some counter space for you to make them.
Therefore, if your kitchen feels cluttered or you can’t seem to find a space to fit things, you may want to make changes to add the needed storage space.
You want to change your kitchen layout
Older kitchens often have outdated structures like large cabinets that end up being dump yards for neglected kitchen tools. If you’re dealing with poor layouts, you may be missing out on the remarkable features of a more current design.
For example, several people may renovate their kitchen to open it up to the rest of the living space.
You need new kitchen appliances
Kitchen appliances actually have a limited life expectancy. In addition to breaking down kitchen appliances past their prime may also use extra power.
One of the significant parts of remodeling your kitchen is replacing your old kitchen appliances with new energy-efficient models.
Don’t wait until they totally break down before you consider remodeling; it could save money long-term. Many newer appliances are better for the environment.
You find yourself dealing with electrical issues or leaks frequently
Flickering lights, frequently burnt bulbs, and plumbing faults that may cause leaks in your kitchen should not be ignored.
These problems can lead to severe damage to the property and its occupants (like fire hazards and floods).
Remodeling your kitchen will tackle these issues and can save you a lot of money, stress, and accidents.
Your kitchen lacks functional lighting
Even if you have a stunning kitchen, you won’t be able to enjoy it without proper lighting! Functional task lighting is crucial as it helps you get things done. .
Adding things like under-cabinet lights and some bold statement pendants can also improve the aesthetic of your kitchen.
If you find yourself wishing for better lighting or think that your kitchen is rather dark and gloomy, then consider doing some remodeling. If it’s possible to add windows or open up the space, consider doing so to allow some natural light in.
Your kitchen seems complicated to clean
Sometimes it may seem like your cabinets don’t look clean even though you just cleaned them. Your countertops or sinks may look worn out, and your flooring faded.
It’s not pleasant to keep cleaning a kitchen if it never looks any cleaner. In addition, wood cabinets, enamel, and tiles eventually wear out and need replacing.
You need new flooring
If your flooring is old, it’s time to replace it. When you change such an integral part of your kitchen, every other thing will show a need for renovation. If it’s time for a brand new floor, consider a complete kitchen remodel too.
You just want a new kitchen
Many people feel they don’t have a good enough reason to remodel their kitchen; however, just wanting a new kitchen is valid.
The kitchen is an essential part of your home. In fact, for some families it’s not just where we eat meals. It’s a place where we entertain guests, do our work, and where our kids complete their school projects.
Thus, it should reflect who you are and yet, still be a functional and welcoming space.
You are planning to sell your house.
If you’re planning to sell your house, then a kitchen remodel might be in order. Take a step back and judge your kitchen from a potential buyer’s point of view. Would a nicer, better kitchen increase the chances of you purchasing this house?
Additionally, a kitchen renovation might increase the value of your home and thus, a good investment. A kitchen designer or real estate agent can help you analyze if a kitchen remodel is worth it.
What are the benefits of kitchen remodeling?
- Save money in the long term – if you’re stuck with old fashioned, unsuitable kitchen appliances, fixtures, and lighting, then you probably overpay for necessities like water and power.
- Increase the value of your home – the kitchen may have a high return on investment. Your kitchen renovation may pay for itself, or almost when it’s time to sell your home.
- Sell your home faster – At the time of resale, an updated, comfortable kitchen will usually help you find a willing buyer more quickly.
- Sell your home for a higher price – Buyers have demonstrated a willingness to pay higher fees for kitchens with attractive and modern designs.
- Boost your efficiency and save time when preparing meals – A kitchen remodel could significantly decrease the time it takes to put meals together. You’ll have more time to enjoy your meals with your friends and family.
- Increased storage space – If you need more pantry space or cabinets, remodel is the ideal opportunity to add them.
- Increase comfort levels – Does your kitchen feel uncomfortable, small or cramped? A new kitchen floor plan could help.
- Clean and declutter your space – Sometimes, the only thing that can give your kitchen a fresh, clean, uncluttered look and feel is remodel.
- Get the kitchen style you want – Remodeling gives you the option to create exactly the look, style and environment you want.
- Make your kitchen safer – Outdated kitchens accommodate unsafe wiring, slippery flooring, and mold that may lead to health hazards.
Where to start when remodeling a kitchen?
Kitchen remodeling is not an easy task, but it can be even more challenging if you don’t know what you want to change or the kind of style that you are aiming for.
You also need to know the available services in your local area. Here are a few tips to get you started on the remodel:
- The first step of a kitchen remodel is choosing what you want to change about your kitchen.
- The next step is drawing plans for your kitchen. Knowing what you want for your kitchen will help the architect draft plans accordingly.
- Once you’ve decided on some kitchen remodeling design ideas that suit your tastes, get quotes from multiple kitchen remodeling contractors before finally choosing which one you’ll work with.
- Once you’ve decided on a contractor you like, make sure to get them under contract using the bid they gave you.
- Take one step at a time; this will help you pay attention to details.
What to choose first when remodeling a kitchen?
The number of things that go into a new kitchen can be overwhelming, and making all these decisions can be too much to handle.
You may start planning your kitchen remodel by reviewing photos to get an overall idea of what you want the new kitchen to look like. Deciding on your budget and estimating costs are also things you’ll have to do initially.
Additionally, kitchen appliances and sinks should be decided on during the preparatory design phase of your kitchen remodel.
This is so that the plans can consider important details like sizes and dimensions, which affects the cabinet layout.
If you can’t figure out your kitchen space, talk to our team at Style and Structure for professional advice on your kitchen remodeling or other home remodeling services.
Kitchen remodeling contractors near me
A properly planned kitchen remodeling gives minimum problems during the project and rewards into the future.
If you’re looking for home remodeling contractor in San Diego or the Bay Area, Style & Structure can provide you with various design options that fit within your budget and give you a kitchen that meets your standard and is to your taste. Contact us today for excellent home remodeling solutions.
For tips on picking the right remodeling company, read ‘How to Choose a Kitchen Remodeling Company in San Diego?’
There are many reasons why you should remodel your kitchen. However, for the best results in your kitchen remodeling project, work with a home building and renovation expert.
They will help you determine what needs changing and how to create a kitchen that suits your needs.